If you don’t have much time available, take a look only at the first two models of the best jigsaw for cutting metal in our ranking: in the first place is the Bosch 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Jig Saw that allows you to cut even very thick pieces of wood and metal. It is sturdy and easy to use. Bosch Variable Speed Barrel-Grip Jig Saw is aimed at particularly demanding professionals or hobbyists and therefore stands out for its effectiveness, power, speed, and ease of use.
My TOP Selection
5 Best Jigsaw For Cutting Metal – Reviews In 2020
Who among you is wondering how to choose a good professional or domestic jigsaw and is undecided, try to check with us which are the best five products of 2020 among the consumer preferences. Making a comparison between these, maybe the hacksaw that best suits your needs, comes up.
The economical price and the high range of adjustments, in addition to the optimal performance, have made the Bosch 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Jig Saw one of the most requested Bosch models by hobbyists.
For the most demanding hobbyists
Do-it-yourself lovers know the German company Bosch very well, especially the production sector of power tools dedicated to amateur use; regardless of the type of tool in fact, whether it is a multifunction tool, a drill or, in fact, an alternative hacksaw, the products of the Bosch Hobby line are all characterized by excellent quality, both in terms of materials and the workmanship is for the level of performance offered, and they are all recognizable by the classic green color of their shell.
The Bosch 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Jig Saw is also ideal for the most demanding hobbyists, thanks to its precision and numerous features that guarantee it a high yield on any type of material, from wood to metal, including steel.
Powerful and precise in cutting
Its vocation is not limited exclusively to small domestic chores; with the Bosch 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Jig Saw , you will be well equipped to face and carry out large-scale restoration projects.
In fact, it can count both on high cutting power, the 620 Watt motor generates a variable speed from 500 to 3,100 strokes per minute, and precision, thanks to the system for the reduction of vibrations and the integrated PowerLight torch, which guarantees excellent visibility in the area to be cut.
It also has electronic speed regulation with preselection and control of the number of strokes, orbital oscillation of the blade in four different positions to improve performance in curved cuts, SDS system for changing the blade with one hand and Bosch CutControl system, transparent and foldable, to allow the operator to guide the cut with extreme precision along the lines drawn on the piece.
For cutting wood, plastic, and metal
Its cutting capacity varies from 90 millimeters deep in wood up to 8 millimeters deep in steel; as regards this aspect, however, especially when working with wood, many buyers recommend using it on pieces of not too thick thickness, since the blade, after exceeding the 20 mm thickness threshold, tends to bend slightly and cutting it is not perfectly perpendicular.
This, moreover, according to consumer testimonials, is a common limitation to all alternative saws for hobby use, regardless of the product brand, and it goes without saying that for cutting thick pieces of wood it is preferable instead, the use of a miter saw, which offers greater stability and operating power.
- The Bosch PST 900 PEL jigsaw, in addition to the intrinsic reliability of the well-known German brand, has the advantage of being extremely precise and useful thanks to a series of integrated systems including the vibration reducer and the electronic regulator for cutting speed.
- According to some buyers, the blade supplied in the original accessories provided is purely demonstrative, given its quality leaves much to be desired, and it is better to replace it immediately with better and longer lasting blades.
Even higher performance is able to offer another Bosch model that, if it is not considered the best alternative hacksaw of 2020, we are not far off.
It is part of the Professional blue line, which means that it is fine if you are a craftsman, carpenter, carpenter, etc. but it becomes spectacular if you use it for domestic and hobby work at home. In fact, not only is it a very powerful tool (650 watts) that will allow you to make cuts very quickly on a wide range of even very difficult materials, but then it is extremely resistant and, therefore, also suitable for frequent use. With the electronic speed adjustment that is present in this case, you can then obtain the best results by adapting it to the various types of surfaces.
It is also a practical tool to use because, for example, you will never struggle to change the blade thanks to the Bosch SDS system and because you will always have the surface free of chips thanks to the effective cleaning system.
The tools of the Bosch Professional blue line are those most used by artisans but also by hobbyists who are particularly demanding for the high-level performance they ensure. The new jigsaw is no exception. Here are the main advantages and disadvantages.
- Power: For those who make the carpenter or the carpenter, hard and difficult to cut materials often occur. The 650-watt power of the Bosch Professional motor offers the benefit of being able to greatly simplify the most complicated processes.
- Resistant: Unlike hobbyists who use tools in the garage from time to time, a professional must instead use them every day. We, therefore, need robust and resistant products, such as the Bosch hacksaw.
- Speed: Electronic speed regulation offers the advantage of always guaranteeing the best result, regardless of the type of material being cut.
- Practicality: Practicality is a requirement that must not be missed by those who make constant use of the hacksaw. From this point of view, the Bosch Professional is easy to handle, fast when there is a need to change the blade thanks to the SDS system and practice in keeping the work surface clean due to the effective cleaning system.
- Price: The Bosch Professional is not actually a very expensive product, but compared to the other tools reviewed here, it is certainly not the cheapest.
Rank #3: Bosch PST 18 LI - cordless jigsaws
If we leave the world of power tools for a moment to find out which is, in our opinion, the best cordless jigsaw, we find another Bosch model here too. But this is not surprising because the German company actually manages to create the highest quality products, giving, in this case, the possibility of choosing whether to buy the hacksaw with the battery or without which if you already have it at home, you will save a fair amount.
If you had to buy the battery too, the one supplied here is extraordinarily powerful and with a very long life that will make you appreciate even more the pleasure of working without the clutter of the wire between your feet.
The cut obtained with this Bosch will be precise and clean thanks to the presence of the electronic adjustment and the number of strokes.
But perhaps the most obvious advantage is another and, that is, the great handling and ease of use that are truly extraordinary.
Bosch is a world leader in the production of tools for hobbyists and professionals, and it is not surprising that in our ranking to choose the best jigsaw for cutting metal, the German company places another product. Here are the main pros and cons.
- Comfort: This Bosch model differs from the others because it is battery powered and, therefore, more comfortable because it works without the annoying power cable. As a result, it can be used anywhere, even where there is no electrical outlet.
- Battery: Bosch gives the possibility to buy or not the battery, together with the hacksaw. The one supplied has the advantage of having not only considerable power but also great durability.
- Ease of handling: The incredible handling and ease of use that make the job more pleasant and easier to perform is striking with the Bosch jigsaw.
- Faceplate: The faceplate hides the saw from view.
Rank #4: BLACK+DECKER BDEJS600C Jig Saw
One of the most interesting jigsaws of 2020 could not miss a Black & Decker product. In this case, we have the KS500, which is also one of the best sellers online. This success is probably due largely to the selling price. If you take the trouble to check it, you will be amazed: with a minimal outlay, in fact, it will be possible for you to bring home a product that is essential but of quality.
If you do not have particularly complex needs at home and are thinking of buying a jigsaw with an eye to saving, consider this model.
From the performance point of view, it is a powerful tool with a 400-watt motor, therefore more than suitable for small housework. It is also easy to use even for those who are not experts and are now approaching the world of DIY: if you are among them, you will have no problem holding this Black & Decker, which is also practical to use.
In addition, it comes with a blade to cut the wood supplied, which is always comfortable.
Black & Decker has created a tool that is a champion of online sales. Let’s review what are its main features also providing an indication of where to buy the hacksaw.
- Quality/price: The Black & Decker is suitable for those who do not have special needs at home, and above all, want to spend little. The quality/price ratio is, in fact, very advantageous for the user.
- Easy to use: Designed for a hobbyist audience, the Black & Decker hacksaw is very easy to use, ideal even for the less experienced.
- Robust: Although the price is low-end, the tool structure is solid and robust.
- Blade change: The mechanism for changing the blade appears rather cumbersome.
- Noisy: For some, the hacksaw may be too noisy.
Rank #5: Makita XVJ03Z Jig Saw,
One last tip on which jigsaw to buy goes to this model produced by Makita . Going to check the features offered, we discover that it is a model appreciated by consumers (it is one of the best-selling of Einhell) and that it is even less expensive than the Black & Decker, therefore ideal for all those who have a budget reduced to the bone.
For standard hobby use, however, it is able to offer good performance: for example, it has a 410-watt motor that should allow you to tackle the different materials without problems and to advance cutting with speed, precision, and efficiency thanks also to the electronic adjustment oscillations.
Easy to use, it is a light power tool that maneuvers with sufficient agility on various types of surfaces.
We now summarize the main strengths and weaknesses of the Makita jigsaw.
- Low prices: Einhell has created a tool that will make everyone who is looking for maximum convenience happy. Difficult to rival this model as regards the price.
- Performance: Considering that it is a cheap tool designed for a not very demanding hobbyist audience, its performance is of a good standard. To underline the power of 410 watts and the electronic adjustment of the oscillations.
- Stability: Some users may criticize the not perfect stability of the Einhell hacksaw.
- Protection: The protective mask on the front is not the best.
Rank #6: Bosch JS470E Corded Top-Handle Jigsaw
In the first place among our buying recommendations, we find the Bosch model is ideal if you are a very demanding hobbyist, and you need maximum cutting precision: keep it in consideration because it is the alternative hacksaw that could be right for you. This is possible thanks to the electronic speed regulation, which is activated with a convenient wheel on the switch with which it is possible to pre-select and adjust the number of strokes. In this way, you can start cutting more effectively and get the best result based on the type of material you are working on.
With a compact design, it is extremely easy to handle (like all Bosch products) and easy to hold and use.
The motor has a good 620 watts of power, and the cut can reach a considerable depth of 90 mm, allowing to work even very hard materials with surprising ease.
According to the many opinions of hobbyists who have used it, there are few doubts about the reliability of the Bosch hacksaw. Let’s review then what are the main features of this tool.
- Effectiveness: The results obtained with the Bosch Compact Expert are highly precise and effective thanks to the electronic speed adjustment and the number of strokes adjustable according to the type of material being sawn, also ideal for the most demanding hobbyist.
- Practicality: The Bosch hacksaw is not only very performing, but also practical to use. The speed, for example, is operated with a comfortable wheel, and the compact design, in general, makes the tool extremely easy to handle.
- Power: To underline the powerful 620-watt motor that guarantees the advantage of working even the hardest materials quickly and with little effort.
- Depth: Those who need to saw very thick pieces find an ally in the Compact Expert thanks to the cutting depth that reaches 90 mm for wood, 15 mm for aluminum, and 8 mm for steel.
- Blade: The quality of the only blade supplied is not exceptional.
How to use a jigsaw
The jigsaw is one of the first power tools that anyone who decides to try his hand at woodworking buys. The reasons are different: the cost is low, it is not bulky, light, and easy to handle. In short, even if you are not daily sawing chipboards, etc., it is always good to have one available because you never know when they need to use it can arise, and the investment is modest.
The engine and, therefore, the power are aspects of fundamental importance. The choice must be made based on the amount of work that the power tool will be called upon to support. The thickness of the material and operating time must be proportional to the power. The motor also gives movement to the blade, which, as the name suggests, moves first in one direction and then in the other.
Equip yourself properly
Although it is a light and handy tool, its use should not be taken lightly. It is important to follow a few basic rules for personal safety. In this sense, it is appropriate to be duly equipped to avoid unpleasant accidents. So you will need safety shoes, protective gloves, and goggles.
The use of parallel guide
It is important to rely on the parallel guide to avoid making inaccurate cuts. This should be used when the cut is performed parallel to the edge of the piece. Proceed as follows: secure the guide to the sole of the hacksaw, make the necessary adjustments, and then rest it on edge. Doing this will make a straight cut.
Make a circular cut
Circular cuts can also be made with an alternative hacksaw, thanks to the use of an “L” square. The shorter part of the team is fixed to the sole of the hacksaw. On the longer part, however, we find a series of holes of different sizes which are used for circular cuts. In practice, a screw is fixed in the center of the circle, and cutting is carried out.
Adjust the speed
One of the fundamental things to do is to adjust the cutting speed taking into account the type of material and thickness. Unfortunately, not all hacksaws offer the possibility to adjust the speed, especially with economic models. How to behave then? In this case, we must appeal to your sensitivity, but let’s explain better. It must be your care not to push too hard on the hacksaw. Otherwise, there is not only the risk of breaking the blade but also of fatigue of the motor.
Buying Guide – How to choose the best jigsaw for cutting metal?
To make cuts on wood, metal, or plastic, one of the accessories that best manage to combine effectiveness and economy is the jigsaw. Thanks to the presence of an engine, the operation is smooth and not at all tiring even if you want to make curved or oblique cuts.
On the market, all the best brands offer models designed for hobbyists but also for professionals. To help you choose, we have created this guide in which we highlight the aspects to be taken into account before purchasing, as well as the reviews of the models most appreciated for the excellent quality/price ratio.
The importance of the blades
In the first place in the ranking of the aspects to be taken into account when choosing a product of this type are its blades, which clearly influence both the cutting speed that can be set and the variety of materials that can be cut.
The movement generated by the motor can be jerky or continuous, with variable speeds (from a minimum of 200 to over 3,000 changes per minute) and must be set according to whether you have to cut a hard material (slower movements) or soft (faster). The shape of the teeth of the blades and the distance between them also affect the type of cut and the surface with which they can be used. The harder and thicker an object, the smaller and less spaced the teeth should be.
It goes without saying that the cutting capacity of a blade is directly proportional to the type of material with which it is made and on the market you will basically find four different types: in chrome-vanadium steel (to be used with all soft materials such as wood ), in hardened super-rapid steel (for aluminum and non-iron-based metals), in bimetal with cobalt welding (suitable for all uses) and finally in hard metal (with excellent resistance to usury).
Power and precision
The main models of jigsaws for sale are characterized by high ergonomics, given to them by a handle equipped with a handle that follows the imprint of the hand. The particular shape may lead you to think that it is necessary to apply a positive force to obtain a good cut.
In reality, this is not the case because it is the engine that takes care of the operation, and you will only have to go along with it, guiding it in order to perform the cut you need. It becomes so important to opt for a hacksaw that has good essential power, also in relation to the type of material that you will find yourself cutting more often.
In principle, a device of at least 450 watts will prove suitable for the vast majority of applications.
Cable or battery operated.
Comparing the prices of the various hacksaws available on the market, it is quite easy to notice that there are no significant differences between the models powered by electricity and battery ones.
The choice is therefore influenced exclusively by your needs and the environment in which you will find yourself working. The appliances powered by the cable, in fact, obliged to always have a power outlet nearby and never run the risk of being “dry.” On the other hand, the wire itself could represent an obstacle during cutting operations.
The battery-powered models are more versatile and can always be carried with you, in case you find yourself working outdoors, on the construction site, or in areas without electricity. However, they have the drawback of having to be recharged, and, in the long run, the autonomy of the battery tends to wane.